KOTA KINABALU: Sabah will also impose a two-week total lockdown from June 1 until 14 in accordance with the National Security Council’s decision on Friday evening.
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Haji Noor (pic) said the State Government welcomed the announcement by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin as the move was necessary in order to stop the coronavirus infection from further escalating in the country.
On which are the essential economic and service sectors allowed to operate during the lockdown, he said it would be announced together with the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) soon.
Meanwhile, Muhyiddin who chaired the special meeting of the National Security Council on the management of Covid-19 said the total lockdown was deemed necessary in view of the alarming national daily pandemic infection rate.
As of May 28, the national figure for new infection rose to a high 8,290 cases while the number of active cases were 72,823.
Sabah too registered a glaring spike in new cases with 308 on May 28 compared to 218 recorded the previous day. Some 1,341 patients are being treated in the hospitals, quarantine centres among others throughout the State.
Sabah had already barred “dine-in” at eateries including hotels beginning May 29 until June 7.-BorneoGazette